The more we do, the harder it is to balance. Sometimes I think the universe builds in balance, you just have to look at it right.
We had a super social 6 day weekend last week with guests arriving Thursday and we celebrated by going to a trampoline park. If you want the place to yourself, go an hour before closing on a weeknight, we actually had races across the entire place and we each got our own lane. Friday the houseguests did the tourist thing and I ran around getting ready for the event. Saturday, the grand event day, went very well and ended even better with a great party at our house where everyone was happy and nothing got broken. 15 of our house guest departed on Sunday and the remaining group just had a nice day hanging out. Monday (we had off) the last friends leave and I started resetting the house back to normal. A friend called on Wednesday and asked what I was doing and I said making the 25th bed in a week and I thought I was being hyperbolic but actually, I was underestimating when you figure I made up beds for 25 people to sleep, I just did mine too because why not, then I unmade the majority and remade 6 so in the span of 7 days I made 31 beds.
To balance out that frenetic weekend of social activity this weekend I’m solo with the kids and we have no firm plans but I’m sure we will have a good time and I’m looking forward to a peaceful weekend just as much as I looked forward to the crazy fun weekend.
In a micro version of balance today I started off with a very aggravating morning where because my plan last night didn’t work out per plan so the minivan got left out of the garage overnight and it was -40 (windchill). This morning it did start but was cranky and there was ice on the window and the side door sensor refused to acknowledge that the door was shut so it made a LOUD BEEP the entire way to school and finally quit on my way to a school board thing. In balance, I left the meeting and drove home and had a green light at every intersection the whole way home. That is amazing timing, first in my life for here, absolutely blog worthy and actually this entire post is so I can tell the world that I had green lights from one side of town, all the way across the highway and the other side of town – I think about 10 lights in a row.
The sun is shining and although is it arctic cold outside, our passive solar is doing its job so I am going to take the opportunity to go sit in a sunbeam. (balance is that I spend too much time running around in the dark since it gets dark here by 6 these days
That, and everything in between, about sums up my week last week. Here are the highlights of the fastest week ever because we don’t start slow, we dive in. Also, we fumbled Monday because it was a holiday and felt a lot like a Sunday so it was a busy and short week;
- First day of school! It went well, kids had stuff ready and were super excited to go. So excited they took showers and had dripping wet hair so we had to do some emergency blow drying. Where was the blow dryer? Still in a box, but, we found it. I went with them for the morning to help kids find their way in the new building and it was a joy to see the new building.
- First week of figuring out drop off and pickup and what exactly to do in between. There is not as much time as you think during school but after the longest summer every full of much togetherness, having an hour, followed by ANOTHER hour to do things made me dizzy with possibilities.
- One thing that was top of the list was a set of counter and cabinets that we didn’t have the builder do but needed to be done in order to set the rest of the kitchen up properly. It is not totally done because it does not have the sink and a few details yet but it is done enough for now. I had to really work to make that countertop flush because even brand new houses have non-level walls. Thank you Dad and YouTube. I’ll cut a hole and do the plumbing connections (rough in done by builders) sometime. Knobs are on the way and I have the base molding cut but not painted and shelf hardware but not shelves ready. Getting these guys together, level, anchored and looking good to this point took some time so worth a mention in a post.
- Another top of list item was to sew 3 flower girl dresses for a wedding this coming weekend. I got the cutting out done at a friends house because my sewing stuff was MIA. I ended up needing to do a thorough search and rescue for them though because every other pair of scissors I could find were dull as cspan and when I did find them I literally kissed them. I got through 1.5 dresses last week and today finished the half done one and did another half of the final dress. There is a fit component I don’t want to do until I get the body but then they are home so I don’t have time to do the sewing so they wait until the next chunk of time. All three need a little hand sewing but that is what car rides are for. Ps. Pink satin is not an easy first sewing project for the house.
- Friday I put away all the sewing and got ready for friends to visit from ND. They are the perfect houseguests in general but really perfect first house guests. They don’t care that their bedside tables were boxes. They viewed our blank walls and windows as opportunities to brainstorm solutions and it was a pleasure to have them (even if there was puke. Kids puke as often as cats. Your welcome for your daily dose of birth control)
- The event over the weekend had high points and low. I love to see everyone and I adore the two people that are now on the throne and they made the most gorgeous outfits and presence ever – they set the bar so high. The low was some stupid misses that I’m sure I noticed more than anyone else but I my hands were tied to try and fix it so it just left a bad taste. It was still a good event
- Last but not least, I launched my campaign for school board. After the referendum last year this is way less stress. If I don’t win nothing bad happens like when the levy failed and they had to close an elementary school If I do win I’ll be happy to take my turn on the board and making sure good choices are made for the kids in our community. If any of my readers want to help out my cause here is a link for donations. They are anonymous to others but per laws and stuff if you donate $100 or more I need your name, address etc for the report but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. I also went to a school board meeting because I would never ask for a job I don’t have a high awareness of. I can’t believe there are people who run and never come to any meetings?
Now it is a new week and I have a PTO meeting and a fundraising event (for scholarships, not me) and we get to go to a wedding for some of our more fun friends so I’m sure it will be absolutely fabulous.
According to my schedule, this is the major pack week and we are major packing. The boxes are accumulating, the stuff in rooms is disappearing and I have a ‘safe space’ for things not to be moved. I said it before, but, my military sister with 10 moves in her adult life highly recommends emptying a single room and then putting in that room the things that you are personally moving in the car on the last day. For us, that is Lars’s work, and everything going to pennsic.
What better thing to do the weekend before you move? Go camping! A very large part of me didn’t want to go but I’m glad I did. I enjoy seeing everyone, Niamh and Zoe both won their fighting division, Zoe got a fighting award, and despite the soggy hot weather, it was a nice weekend. Vacation mom made it 10x better by showing up and puttering with me at the event and then whisking the kids away in the morning so Lars and I could pack in peace. I took zero pictures the entire weekend but a friend posted this one and I think it captures the beauty of the SCA. Our social club with a renaissance theme. That is my tent in the bottom right, and, you are looking at the battle field where the kids enjoyed many pool noodle fights, bubble blowing, and general joyous noise.
I was actually not wiped out coming home, we got a load from the house to storage, I grocery shopped for camp week lunch and snack and then we just chilled. Monday we got up extra early and got kids to camp and by 10 am, a time we are usually just getting motivated, I was already done with room #1 and rolling forward. I’m so glad we did the camp thing, they are happy, safe, and come home exhausted so I don’t feel bad packing up all their toys.
We took a batch of things to storage yesterday and then went by the house and happened to be there when the builders came in to look at ‘a situation’. I had noticed a ton of little things in the house but not the giant crack in the wall or the fact that the counters were no longer flush to the wall – the cement truck pouring our patio ran into our back wall…. You can’t make this stuff up! He was stung by a bee and hit the gas. The cement company is covering it all and I trust our builders to take down the wall and true up everything again but the worry is this will impact move in. Given I had planned for *something* to go wrong I put our closing on Aug 13, a full 10 days after they said it could be done because if I had to be homeless, I want to go to Pennsic and that is 2 weeks long. I don’t however, want to wait longer because then we run into hotel or staying with people and some legal deadlines on closing documents etc. I am going to hope for the best.
Today my energy is still up, we have a plan and Lars is now working in an empty room on a folding table and I’m back to laptop life. I hope to get the hall closet, kitchen ‘extra’ and clothing done today. I think keeping out 2 weeks worth of outfits should work. I’ll do laundry, it will be fine. I’m undecided on how many towels to keep out, but, if that is the biggest problem in my life I’m ok with that. Back to work for me, hope you all enjoy your day.
This is a departure from my normal day to day posts to bring you a printable form if you want to play my Pennsic Catch Them All game.
Here is the form;Pennsiccatchthemall (now with flying weapons supplemental!)
Greetings Known World going to Pennsic! If you were ‘going to catch them all’ at Pennsic what would you catch? We have the most exotic creatures all around us, we just have to look. This year I (Duchess Mary from Northshied) am sponsoring a quest for young and old to ‘catch’ SCA style.
The goal is simple – seek and find people from every stage of progression from every kingdom. I have a form to help you keep track and if you bring that form back to the Games Tent by 8/11 whoever caught the most gets a prize.
Truly, the real prize will be the people you meet and the things you learn.
And since we are a digital society if you feel inclined, and, it is not offensive to your ‘catch’ post pictures with #Pennsiccatchthemall
I will have some on site but if you want to come prepared please print at home. Mine are double sided, yours don’t have to be. Order isn’t important except the last page is intended to be the cover.
See you at pennsic!
In school; everyone that should be
nap; we might have compromised on ‘play quietly in your room’
House; I should be cleaning for a pizza party tomorrow but I’m drawn into going through every toy bin in the house.
Weekend Prep; I’m in good shape
Workout; I’m calling this a break week based on advice from my DrSister
Whatever I ate in Asia when I was pregnant with Zoe seems to really lend to her heartiness (I was fed crazy things because I was pregnant!). She rarely gets sick and when she does it does not last long. Yesterday she was sick in the morning, got better enough to eat by mid-morning, slept from 1 until 5 and at 5 was right as rain. She did go to bed on time but at 6am appeared by my bed saying she could not stay asleep any more, can’t say I blame her.
Yesterday I also took a long nap and feel much better for it too. I was ‘watching’ them as they settled down and fell asleep. I woke up just in time to go to the bus. Not much got done yesterday but I feel tons better today.
We have a busy weekend ahead and I’m looking forward to it and now I must go assemble all the things we need so I’m not stressed out in the morning gathering stuff.