First things first, if you came here because you are having trouble with your Eket, ME TOO. I found ZERO people who had this issue so maybe it was just me, because, every other post was a glowing review about how simple and easy it is. I agree, the frame is quite easy but this two-drawer cabinet has gliders that are, as standard for Ikea, genius yet inscrutable instructions. I installed mine in what I thought was an absolute following of the directions but nope, I did it upsidedown and backward.
The key is getting the right and left sorted, so note carefully the grove and then what set of holes is closer to the ‘top’ when the keyholes are oriented correctly per picture. I suppose that is what the pointing finger is trying to say but seriously Ikea, just use a word or two.
Once that was done it was cake. As easy as everyone says for sure.
Personally, I had another minor dilemma because originally I was just going to get the drawers and mount them just below the shelf, but, then the 4 cube was in the clearance section for a price that was too good to pass up. I didn’t pay attention to the fact that it stacked up to exactly the same hight as the shelf.
Decision time, remove the shelf or go back to plan A and find a new home for the cube. Lars preferred the potential of 4 new cubbies so we broke out the bolt cutters and trimmed out the shelf we no longer needed. I did actually keep the bit to the left of the drawers, you can’t really see it but all I needed to do was move one support and it was stable so that was worth the effort.
As you can see, the eket is the perfect depth for a closet system. Everything else is ClosetMaid standard and often other furniture stick out too far or are too far back. This looks slightly proud because of our floor molding but that is ok by me because I can push the top unit back slightly so it has better balance when the drawers are out.
If you were wondering, Lars required his own drawer for accessories and these are very good because they are shallow so you don’t stack too much in there. They also have the fun ‘pop open’ hardware so no knobs to worry about.
I think this improves our closet nicely, other then the frustration of putting it together 2x, I like it a lot.
ps. I also like the series because the name reminds me of my friend Ekat.
I have been planning a trip to Ikea for so long that the thing I needed to start I don’t need anymore but now I need something different. I can always find a reason to go to Ikea.
This time we *really* went because Vacation Mom needed something that won’t fit in her car so she got me lunch and I was her minivan sized shopping partner. Whoever styles that store should get awards because they are really so pretty. I need to step back and say “no, my room is not that size nor color so it will not be the same”.
We did meet with a VERY disapproving Ikea salesperson who was NOT interested in our ideas about how to use things for our purpose and not necessarily the intended purpose. In the end, we found a storage solution that we don’t need to modify at all and it was on sale so win-win.
Lovely day out with a friend *and* we also worked out for the second day in a row.
I’m currently taking a break from assembly to get a coffee and write this and then find a screwdriver. You will read this when you will but for me, I’m writing at a time that I’m normally picking up kids and driving home. No, they are no on yet another un-known off day, they all have after school choir. ALL OF THEM. This will be the one and the only year it is even possible since #1 goes to a different school next year. I should be savoring this odd time but it just feels like I’m off schedule and on top of daylight savings I’m a mess. I check my watch constantly to make sure I’m not late for late pickup. I’ll get used to it about a week before the program is over.
Ok, coffee is ready and assembly is calling. I’ll post on Instagram (sidebar if you are looking at the web version) when I get it done. You can probably guess what I suddenly needed but if you need a hint – I just cleaned my closet so….
That, and everything in between, about sums up my week last week. Here are the highlights of the fastest week ever because we don’t start slow, we dive in. Also, we fumbled Monday because it was a holiday and felt a lot like a Sunday so it was a busy and short week;
- First day of school! It went well, kids had stuff ready and were super excited to go. So excited they took showers and had dripping wet hair so we had to do some emergency blow drying. Where was the blow dryer? Still in a box, but, we found it. I went with them for the morning to help kids find their way in the new building and it was a joy to see the new building.
- First week of figuring out drop off and pickup and what exactly to do in between. There is not as much time as you think during school but after the longest summer every full of much togetherness, having an hour, followed by ANOTHER hour to do things made me dizzy with possibilities.
- One thing that was top of the list was a set of counter and cabinets that we didn’t have the builder do but needed to be done in order to set the rest of the kitchen up properly. It is not totally done because it does not have the sink and a few details yet but it is done enough for now. I had to really work to make that countertop flush because even brand new houses have non-level walls. Thank you Dad and YouTube. I’ll cut a hole and do the plumbing connections (rough in done by builders) sometime. Knobs are on the way and I have the base molding cut but not painted and shelf hardware but not shelves ready. Getting these guys together, level, anchored and looking good to this point took some time so worth a mention in a post.
- Another top of list item was to sew 3 flower girl dresses for a wedding this coming weekend. I got the cutting out done at a friends house because my sewing stuff was MIA. I ended up needing to do a thorough search and rescue for them though because every other pair of scissors I could find were dull as cspan and when I did find them I literally kissed them. I got through 1.5 dresses last week and today finished the half done one and did another half of the final dress. There is a fit component I don’t want to do until I get the body but then they are home so I don’t have time to do the sewing so they wait until the next chunk of time. All three need a little hand sewing but that is what car rides are for. Ps. Pink satin is not an easy first sewing project for the house.
- Friday I put away all the sewing and got ready for friends to visit from ND. They are the perfect houseguests in general but really perfect first house guests. They don’t care that their bedside tables were boxes. They viewed our blank walls and windows as opportunities to brainstorm solutions and it was a pleasure to have them (even if there was puke. Kids puke as often as cats. Your welcome for your daily dose of birth control)
- The event over the weekend had high points and low. I love to see everyone and I adore the two people that are now on the throne and they made the most gorgeous outfits and presence ever – they set the bar so high. The low was some stupid misses that I’m sure I noticed more than anyone else but I my hands were tied to try and fix it so it just left a bad taste. It was still a good event
- Last but not least, I launched my campaign for school board. After the referendum last year this is way less stress. If I don’t win nothing bad happens like when the levy failed and they had to close an elementary school If I do win I’ll be happy to take my turn on the board and making sure good choices are made for the kids in our community. If any of my readers want to help out my cause here is a link for donations. They are anonymous to others but per laws and stuff if you donate $100 or more I need your name, address etc for the report but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. I also went to a school board meeting because I would never ask for a job I don’t have a high awareness of. I can’t believe there are people who run and never come to any meetings?
Now it is a new week and I have a PTO meeting and a fundraising event (for scholarships, not me) and we get to go to a wedding for some of our more fun friends so I’m sure it will be absolutely fabulous.
It has been days and days of no words from me! Anyone worried? Technically you all choose to read this therefore you must care a little ~
Well; Thursday I paid the price for not going to the dentist in an age (the age of my youngest child). There is nothing innately hellish about dentists in my opinion but in a weird way I’ve just put it off because I ‘could’. I’ve spent years scheduling and creating time for all the things I HAD to do like endless kid doctors and taxes and stuff that if I didn’t do something bad would happen and I just got tired of finding time for something that I didn’t really even want to do. Going to the dentist means either a careful manipulation of time and space to create a magical time I could get to the dentist solo, or, taking kids and trying to parent while there are other peoples hands in my mouth. Dentist visits were just one of those things that were easier when I worked! Anyway, I’m doing it now, so better late then never but my mouth hurts and is in for a bunch more hurting, hopefully the end result will be good. ps. I also have to floss now 😛
Thursday I also took the fastest trip to Ikea ever. I needed 1 thing, I left with only 3 and the cherry on the top was that Zoe AND Fiona were able to go to Small Land at Ikea! I was able to get the things, look at something I was curious about (it didn’t live up to the magazine pic in my opinion) pay, put everything in the car and come back for the kids and we all enjoyed a well earned lunch. Nap time was in the car so not much time for blogging, plus, my face hurt.
Thursday was actually super busy because I had my board meeting/ mom night out that night and there is nothing to help you get over an icky dentist diagnosis then laughing so hard you cry with a bunch of friends. I came home and more or less kissed the kids and went to sleep because that was a long day.
Friday was another doozy of a day. First – my mouth still hurt – smashing way to start the day. Then I had a long long list of special things to remember to pack for kids and I wanted the last day of school picture so it was a rush around morning for sure.
To the gym for the workout and that was a win. If you follow me on Instagram (it’s also in the side bar –>) you can see that I’ve been seduced into the heavy lifting world. A friend talked me into it and so far so good. The machines I was working on are constantly full of octogenarians (not exaggerating) so I have far better luck with the squat rack. I’ve gotten a few people giving me tips and feedback and between that and youtube I’m slowing getting better. I deadlifted my body weight on Friday and that really felt like an accomplishment. I hope that over time I’ll get stronger and lighter so lifting my body weight will be less and less of a big deal but it made my Friday.
I gummed some lunch with Fiona and got her down for a nap just in time to turn around and put her in the car so we could go see Zoe’s last day program at school. She really had awesome luck with this class and teacher and she is totally 100% ready for kindergarten. I also lucked out and got to see Niamh for her field day that was happening outside at the same time. We missed most of the events but her teacher told me just how big a lead Niamh had on her classmates in the quarter mile race, she is the fastest runner in first grade. I collected both kids from school since it was nearly the end of the day and that was a good thing because the traffic going north was so bad that I would have missed the bus stop time. There is only NY like traffic about 4 times a year here so that really isn’t bad, but, it is annoying to take 3x as long as normal to drive.
Firday I also started working my kid karma. I watched a set of girls for a friend and they were no trouble but just 2 more variables to move through the evening but virables all the same. Today I’m continuing my streak by watching another friends 3 kids overnight so she can work. It is after 11 and the boys are both asleep but the girls (my 2 and her 1) are making a real sleepover of this and are all still wispering. For having 6 kids in the house there is much more peace than I would have expected, we will see what breakfast for 6 will be like. This is just a preview for my summer where we will spend a few weeks with my sisters and their kids so there will be a collective of 8 kids ranging from 11year to 1 month. The two youngest will actually sleep at their own home but I expect to see tons of them and I plan on at least 1 picture of Kate+8.
Today my mouth finally stopped hurting but my body was reminding me that I lifted heavy weights yesterday. I shook it off with a morning dance party and then spent most of the day painting the garage creations. I had ‘help’ so it was a slower process but I’m more then half done with a primer and first coat. I’m also doing the tedious task of going through all the garb to see what fits and orginizing it in general so the guest room can really be a guest room and not just a giant garb depot. I’ll be glad this is done when I’m packing in a month!
Plans for the weekend include more of the same. I would love to actually finish a big project but progress is always welcome. I think I’m giving up on the giggling girls and just going to sleep myself. I hope your memorial day weekend it good and/or productive. Tomorrow we are grilling with friends and who know what we might do on Monday – Zoe carefulls, and legably, penciled in the word Zoo on one of my to-do lists and who can’t resist an add like that.