This isn’t really the place for all the writing needed for politics. I suppose it could be…. but I’m choosing to keep my political stuff for my campaign 99% on facebook on a special page just for it. It does tend to pull time away from here though, just like any topic I don’t want to post here, I end up not posting at all.
Any-hoo – life has been a little crazy. Last weekend we went to a wedding and it was one of the most pretty and well done weddings I’ve been to. Probably because it was at a resort that was in the middle of nowhere so we were there with a ton of people we know and no other agenda but hang out. The key might have been that there were actually very few wedding activities so lots of free time. The resort was built in the 40’s and 50’s and other than necessary modernizations it is a time capsule. I told the kids it would be like how grandma went on vacation when she was a little girl. There were cabins and quaint stoves and tiny cabinets and a beach and overall a mellow vibe. My kids were 3 of 10 flower children and they had a great time with the crew of kids. The dresses turned out great overall and in a group you didn’t notice any one individual.
I was absolutely worn out by the weekend and various interactions and packed us up eary to leave so we actually had time at home on Sunday. I was so tired I went to sleep at 9:30pm and woke up at 6:30am.
Contributing to the crazy of last week was a fundraiser for technology in the schools – something I totally support. We treated it like a ‘date’ and had a great time but that night led directly into the crazy weekend so it was 3 nights in a row of being ‘on’.
Back to the ‘normal’ week and I’m slowly getting a routine. A very odd unforeseen circumstance has come up – the sun rises directly in my face when sitting at my desk. This makes morning work really impossible until I figure out shades. The to-do list for the house is still giant but got to make that one more of a priority. I have become fond of cloudy mornings though, funny how things happen.
Knocking around in my head are all the books I’ve managed to read over the past few months, I need to get back to talking about them and my blog friend posted about her summer reads, bringing that back to the front of my brain.
I’ve gotten my gym membership straight again. We were on a pause for the move and I’m officially back as of tomorrow. Making time for a real workout is important and Vacation Mom and I need it. I’m sure all the people we annoy at the gym because we talk missed us terribly. Thank you, parents, for the good genes that even though I have not worked out properly in months, I’ve kept at a good weight just by watching my intake and being generally active.
The next project to start is garage shelving. There are still things to finish on ongoing projects but new is more fun right? I also need to get them up so I can get space in the garage before it gets cold here.
I have also regained my ‘commute’ when I drive to/from the school I get to listen to NPR. I loved tuning in to the supreme court confirmation hearings last week and I usually catch a good segment one way or the other. Today though I missed my grandmother (who I also used to call weekly while I drove) because the topic was feminism. It is a big topic to unpack and the goal if this segment was to highlight the inequality in race and feminism. That is something I would have loved to talk with her about and I’m just going to have to settle for thinking about it. Maybe posting about it sometime.
How are you all doing?
In case you ARE interested in the politics
Here is a link to my facebook if you want to read
That, and everything in between, about sums up my week last week. Here are the highlights of the fastest week ever because we don’t start slow, we dive in. Also, we fumbled Monday because it was a holiday and felt a lot like a Sunday so it was a busy and short week;
- First day of school! It went well, kids had stuff ready and were super excited to go. So excited they took showers and had dripping wet hair so we had to do some emergency blow drying. Where was the blow dryer? Still in a box, but, we found it. I went with them for the morning to help kids find their way in the new building and it was a joy to see the new building.
- First week of figuring out drop off and pickup and what exactly to do in between. There is not as much time as you think during school but after the longest summer every full of much togetherness, having an hour, followed by ANOTHER hour to do things made me dizzy with possibilities.
- One thing that was top of the list was a set of counter and cabinets that we didn’t have the builder do but needed to be done in order to set the rest of the kitchen up properly. It is not totally done because it does not have the sink and a few details yet but it is done enough for now. I had to really work to make that countertop flush because even brand new houses have non-level walls. Thank you Dad and YouTube. I’ll cut a hole and do the plumbing connections (rough in done by builders) sometime. Knobs are on the way and I have the base molding cut but not painted and shelf hardware but not shelves ready. Getting these guys together, level, anchored and looking good to this point took some time so worth a mention in a post.
- Another top of list item was to sew 3 flower girl dresses for a wedding this coming weekend. I got the cutting out done at a friends house because my sewing stuff was MIA. I ended up needing to do a thorough search and rescue for them though because every other pair of scissors I could find were dull as cspan and when I did find them I literally kissed them. I got through 1.5 dresses last week and today finished the half done one and did another half of the final dress. There is a fit component I don’t want to do until I get the body but then they are home so I don’t have time to do the sewing so they wait until the next chunk of time. All three need a little hand sewing but that is what car rides are for. Ps. Pink satin is not an easy first sewing project for the house.
- Friday I put away all the sewing and got ready for friends to visit from ND. They are the perfect houseguests in general but really perfect first house guests. They don’t care that their bedside tables were boxes. They viewed our blank walls and windows as opportunities to brainstorm solutions and it was a pleasure to have them (even if there was puke. Kids puke as often as cats. Your welcome for your daily dose of birth control)
- The event over the weekend had high points and low. I love to see everyone and I adore the two people that are now on the throne and they made the most gorgeous outfits and presence ever – they set the bar so high. The low was some stupid misses that I’m sure I noticed more than anyone else but I my hands were tied to try and fix it so it just left a bad taste. It was still a good event
- Last but not least, I launched my campaign for school board. After the referendum last year this is way less stress. If I don’t win nothing bad happens like when the levy failed and they had to close an elementary school If I do win I’ll be happy to take my turn on the board and making sure good choices are made for the kids in our community. If any of my readers want to help out my cause here is a link for donations. They are anonymous to others but per laws and stuff if you donate $100 or more I need your name, address etc for the report but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. I also went to a school board meeting because I would never ask for a job I don’t have a high awareness of. I can’t believe there are people who run and never come to any meetings?
Now it is a new week and I have a PTO meeting and a fundraising event (for scholarships, not me) and we get to go to a wedding for some of our more fun friends so I’m sure it will be absolutely fabulous.