Putting them to work – playhouse in 5 days or less

Another perfect weather day today and I had a goal; finish the outside playhouse project!

We had a bit of a kid turnstile – Lars and Niamh took off early to an all-day archery event.  Zoe had a birthday party 1-4 (but Fiona and I were invited to come early and hang out) so in the hours in between I needed to

  1. Varnish the benches – the girls really wanted to help and help they actually were.  I muttered to myself that this isn’t ‘world class’ wood working anyway so a drip or a streak is not a big deal.  While we were working Zoe said the sweetest thing, she said I was a great blend of my parents; quiet time and reading like grandma and a really good builder like grandad.  Sweetest kid!  I stained them yesterday… look much nicer in ‘royal oak’ then ‘inexpensive pine’IMG_8883
  2. Put on a roof – Apparently it has to have a roof…  I went with the inexpensive and easy canvas tarp method.  Menards has 8×16 canvas drop cloths for $14 and that was the perfect size for my 8×8 area.  The plan was to sew pockets on either end and insert 2x2x8 wood ‘bars’ and using screw bolts mounted to the side of the house in the convenient wood surround of the random extra garage door – make holes to tie the wood to the bolts and drape the fabric over the top and down the opposite side.  The bar on the other end is enough weight to keep it steady but I’ll probably tie it down to the bottom of the fence.  A lot of this construction is less planning and more working with what is there.

    IMG_8887

    Roof!  Ignore the debries… I’m reusing some old wood from a failed project

  3. Finally, I wanted to do the marble in the fence thing.  I think it was one of the first things I pinned about 6 years ago and finally, today I did it!  It is an easy project; find a drill bit that is the right size for your marbles – to find the right size use scrap wood – and then just push the marbles in.  Our marbles were $5 for 200 so there is some quality control issues and not all our marbles were the same size but we found enough for it to work.  Zoe even took a turn with the drill 🙂

And we actually did all these things!  I need another coat of varnish but we also ate lunch and cooked dinner and drove to and from the party etc.  We also went to the store for drill bits and we picked up an inexpensive carpet so I have one more project; painting cool designs.

Oh – Don’t think I’ve actually mentioned much about this except in passing – I got it in my head to make over an odd section of our yard into a play space.  It was full of leaves and stuff to throw out so day one we cleaned.  The space used to be for a hot tub and had a garage door into the garage (weird?!) and three sides of privacy fence.  We took down one side long ago so I have 2 solid sides to work with.  I added two benches and cut out a window.  Started this all on Tuesday and today I feel like I need to clean up the tools and the kids can move in!

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 responses to “Putting them to work – playhouse in 5 days or less”

  1. fancypaperblog says :

    That’s super! Am envious of your skills and a little inspired.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: