I’m Back~

Sorry about the ‘out of office’ but the internet at the resort we were staying at was like the tides… it ebbed and flowed and was not even there sometimes so I took it as a sign to take a full break.  I took such a break that I even turned off all the alarms on my phone – no wake up alarm, no vitamin alarm (forgot mine anyway), no alarm for bed or anything else at all.  That does not mean that I slept in because Fiona is a very natural and un-ignorable clock but it was nice to only loosely live by the clock.

Disregarding care for the actual time was also nice because of time zone swap and for blasted no good daylight savings so we didn’t really know what the time was anyway.  For example, the first morning at the resort Fiona woke up at either 6am (CST+daylight saving) or 5am (CST- daylight saving aka) or 7am (EST-daylight saving) or even 8am (EST+daylight saving) and all those ‘times’ would be ‘right’ enough so I threw in the towel and just got up when she did, put them all to bed after we fed and washed them at night and insisted on naps for those who needed them some time after lunch.  We fed them at semi regular times and had a bag of snacks on hand.  It was not a lazy vacation just one with no regard for the clock.

I’m not sure if anyone is actually interested in the ‘what we did’ minuta of our vacation and for once I did the cool pinterest thing of writing a post card daily of what we did so I have a record other than the blog.  But, for those interested and for myself if I lose the cards here is the brief agenda and later today I’ll be uploading my pictures so feel free to flip through.

Thursday – left at 12:30 and picked up Niamh from school giving her semi celebrity status with her class.  We got to our goal stop in IL and spent the night.  That night was god-awful with all the kids being whiney messes and nobody wanting to sleep and I nearly turned back but we did much better for the remainder of the trip.

Friday – woke up and hit the road early, stopped at Superman in Metropolis (per plan) and tromped in the snow to hug is legs of bronze (not steal, what were they thinking?).  Pressed on through sucky-kentucky that had a bit of snow and a million people who could not deal with it.  There was actually flipped cars on fire and the national guard pulling cars out of the ditch.  We skidded one time but the biggest hazard was the other people freaking out!  Made it to Huntsville Alabama in good time to enjoy the hotel pool and dinner and go to sleep much more peacefully.

Saturday – back on the road again and after a stop to see the cool rockets (the reason I wanted to stay in Huntsville) and a boondoggle of a treck to find a tea place that is apparently seasonal and this is not the season – we wended our way through the backcountry of Alabama and into Georgia yielding dozens of barns for my Art friend Sal, and finally Florida to find that our original resort was oversold and they moved us (VERY glad I called ahead on that one) and by midnight we were ‘on vacation’.

Sunday we were lazy around the resort for the morning and then headed over to Old Town that was right across the street from where we were supposed to be staying.  I think I’m glad for the location change since Old Town was loud and ‘up all night’ style but a fun enough place to visit.  We ended up catching an awesome close up magic show and Fiona thoroughly enjoyed dancing in the streets.

Monday off to Main Street Disney!  Now we did say we were not doing Disney but there are sections of the park that are open to the public and smaller.  My “no disney” policy was based on the fact that I didn’t want Lars to miss it, the kids are too small for the good rides, and it is too big to do as a single mom and too expensive to do with a nap needing kid.  The little park sections got around the majority of my concerns and other then Lars missing it, it was win-win.  A bit of disney magic was welcome 🙂

Tuesday we had pre booked a Monster Truck citrus tour and it was super fun too.  I learned a lot about oranges and palm trees and the monster bus was impressive.  The kids enjoyed it until they got too hot and the wagon broke and in the end I was carrying Zoe and Fiona and chanting CAP marching songs to keep me moving.  Niamh was a trooper and my Co-Mom was awesome and we got home and collapsed into the AC and pools but we did eat some very yummy oranges.

IMG_4688  fl2015blog-001

Wednesday we had plans that fell through so we subbed in another day at Disney – Boardwalk this time.  It was fun in a way because it was pretty but it was also devoid of anything fun other then taking pictures.  The highlight was Zoe talking to the gardening crew and the boardwalk cleaning crew and both times getting little Disney figures from them.  She talks to people all the time but Disney does go the extra mile 🙂

Thursday we got going out to the Atlantic coast and split up a bit.  The girls and I went to visit a HS friend of mine who had a teeny tiny baby to meet and our girls got along fantastically.  It was painful to pull them away but we had to join Becki on the beach for some time on the sand.  An hour at the ocean is plenty for me and we had 2 kids asleep in the car that stayed asleep all the way til morning

Friday – nearing the end!  Hang out and just soak in the sun and pool and playgrounds and a short trip to buy a few souvenirs from one of the million shops on the main strip.  Packed up and ready to go…  Tucking in the girls Zoe got sand in her eye and screamed the house down resulting in her crying and me holding her most of the night.  She was very worried she would never see again but fortunately she believed me that she would.  She also thought it was not fair that it happened to her but eventually she slept and so did I.  Fortunately Becki got a full 8hours so she could drive.

Saturday – started strong with a 6:30 departure and while no kids stayed asleep they were all mellow.  Then Niamh puked.  Then Fiona puked.  (see Zoe? things even out, you didn’t puke).  Niamh is actually a pro at car sick and got it all in a bag but Fiona did not……  Rest stop for the ultimate multitask – change, clean car, get breakfast, get gas, all go potty.  From there it was a nice drive and we got 16h down the road without any other troubles.  The hotel we stayed at reeked of sadness and desperation and the night was not restful (again) but there are slim pickings in southern IL.


Sunday – I zombie the early morning with Fiona and a depressing and fruit fly ridden breakfast hoping to let Becki tank up on an extra hour of sleep.  Thank goodness she likes to drive!  The last 8 hours driving felt like 200 but we made it by 6pm and I collapsed into a heap that made Lars worry but it was really just lack of sleep and messed up eating and my body rebelled with a minor fever that thankfully I slept off and now it is….

Monday again!  Lars took the day to hang with the kids and I did ‘all the things’ I neglected to do in vacation prep and being gone.  Nothing major but just a lot of stuff and the next thing to do is tackle all the e-mail.  Just like a break from a mundane job, I have to sift through the 1000 emails that I didn’t/couldn’t deal with while I was gone.


Tags: , , , ,

One response to “I’m Back~”

  1. mamalisa4 says :

    ADorable!! Looks great!! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: